Is it Photoshop or is it Lightroom?
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (LR) is a stand-alone image-processing and media management program that, optionally, integrates with Adobe Photoshop (PS). The two programs serve different purposes and one does not require the other. PS is excellent for advanced single-image editing. LR is sufficient for most image processing actions and integrates with online services like Facebook, SmugMug, Flickr, 500px, iPad, and others. Lightroom is similar to Apple’s Aperture, but LR works on both Windows and Apple machines.
Photoshop is a stand-alone image editing program but doesn’t have much in terms of library management (although it integrates with Adobe Bridge). There’s even a Photoshop Express mobile app for Android and Apple (and Photoshop Touch, currently only for Android tablets).
Purchasing Adobe Lightroom, Discounts, Coupon Codes
LR retails for $299. At this time, there’s a $100 coupon valid until January 3, 2012. Even after this date, this link will display all current Adobe Software Discount Coupons. Educational pricing is also available. Lightroom 3.6, a free Adobe update to LR3, was released earlier this month (on December 12, 2011), and I’d guess that LR4 would be released sometime in 2012, but that’s just a highly speculative guess. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Upgrade retails for $99 so it’ll probably be similar for LR3 to LR4.
- Lightroom Video Tutorials
- Learning Lightroom Resources
- Lightroom Community Forum
- Lightroom Support Forum
- Search YouTube for Lightroom
I titled this post “LR3 for the Adventurous Beginner” because it’s basically an introduction to LR and its “pluggable” functionality. It’s a good way to say, “Ooh, I can do all that in Lightroom, so easily, mostly for free?”
Plugins & Presets
- How to install Lightroom Plugins
- How to install Lightroom Presets
- Adobe.com Plugin directory
- Jeffrey Friedl’s Lightroom Plugins and Resources
- Gavin Seim’s Ultimate List of Free Lightroom Presets
- DeviantArt member shared or for-purchase Lightroom presets
Become a Lightroom Developer
- Adobe Lightroom Developer Center (Lightroom SDK)
- About Jeffrey Friedl’s Lightroom Plugin journey (he’s worked for Adobe LR)
Things to Know
- When considering plugins or workflow procedures to implement into your LR, make sure they are compatible with your version of LR.
- LR3 is similar to LR2 so if a plugin works with LR2, it’ll likely work with LR3. However, LR1 is, well, version 1. The “plugin manager” wasn’t available in LR until v1.3, just FYI.
- If there’s some sort of LR file that you or someone else needs to be able to open but doesn’t have LR, give ImageIngester’s LRViewer a try.
- Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom glossary and key concepts
- Jeffrey Friedl’s Blog
- Seim Studios LLC – Training videos and Lightroom products available for purchase
I hope you’ve enjoyed this collection of resources, whether for pre-purchase info or if you’ve been using LR for a long time.