Whether for fun or documentation purposes, you may want to save your iChat / Messages app history. Here’s how to:
Step 1: Enable History
Make sure Messages app is setup to save your history.
Step 2: Go to the Archive folder
Open Finder. In the menu bar, click on “Go” and click “Go to Folder…”.
Type in ~/Library/Messages/Archive and click the “Go” button.
This command will take you directly to the iChat/Messages Archive folder in the current Finder window.
Step 3: Backup
Now that you’re in the right location, you have a few options:
- Create a full backup
- Right click the Messages folder
- Click Compress “Messages”
- Move the created .zip file to your desired backup storage location
- Find the one or few items you’re specifically looking for and copy/paste or compress
- Navigate to the Attachments folder (located in the Messages folder, alongside the Archive folder — see previous screenshot) to browse for image and other attachment files
- To filter for all attachments (since they’re nested pretty deeply), type Command+F, click Search: “Attachments”, and specify Kind is Image.