Font Awesome is a very popular and free icon font. Icon fonts are great for websites because they appear as images on screen but are actually text characters. As a result, they can scale to any size and are at the highest resolution.
Here’s how you can get Font Awesome to work not only online but also offline, like in Adobe Photoshop:
- Close any open programs that use desktop fonts (e.g. Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator).
- Download the Font Awesome OTF format of the font.
- Save it to whatever temporary location (e.g. Downloads folder) you desire.
- Install the .otf font onto your Mac or Windows computer.
- Delete the Font Awesome TTF file from your Downloads folder.
- Open the Adobe Photoshop program; then, open or create a document you want to edit.
- Open the Type Tool, in preparation for copying and pasting text.
- Open Font Awesome’s Cheatsheet (copy and paste page) in your favorite web browser.
- Find, select, and copy the icon you want to use. (Double-clicking the icon you want typically is the easiest way to select it; then, just copy it.)
- Paste the selected icon into Photoshop.
- Just like customizing any other font character(s), feel free to change the text color, blending options, and resize as desired.
With Font Awesome accessible to your design programs on your local computer, you can now create custom images, make website mockups, and more.